Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Are You a National Board Certified Teacher?

When I ran into my former second grade teacher over the weekend, she mentioned that I should check into becoming a National Board Certified Teacher. Although rigorous, she said it was one of the best experiences she's ever had professionally. I am not yet qualified to apply (due to mandatory 3 years teaching/counseling experience), but would like to hear your thoughts on the process. In case you have not heard of it, click here to visit the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards website.

Please comment or e-mail me  (watkinsj315@gmail.com) ! I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject!

3 comments:

  1. I have heard many good things about becoming nationally board certified. I wanted to do it myself; however, I just needed a little break from education this year to decide.

    I know Jen over at the Teacher's Cauldron went through the process, so you may want to chat with her for a bit.

    Oh, I love your new colors by the way!!

    Michelle

    The 3AM
    Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen: I just became National Board Certified in December, as an early childhood generalist. It was a lot of work, but it has changed my life. I am also totally blind and there are some videos about it on my blog. I'd love to answer any questions you have.

    Sharon Dudley, NBCT
    http://teachingwithsight.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jen,
    I'm a NBCT in Early-Middle Literacy. It is a very rigorous process, but it is the single best professional development you will every do. I'm so glad I did it. I have created a page on my class website about it: National Board Certification

    Also, my district has a page:
    ECBOE.org/NBCT

    If you decide to do it, contact me and I'll be happy to help in any way I can.
    ThinkShareTeach

    ReplyDelete